HOME     SEARCH:            

Foreward / Time Capsule

Chapter I: The Initial Years of the School
(1916–1929)

  • In 1917, there were no students in Accountancy due to WWI.
  • In 1918, the University closed because of the Spanish flu epidemic.
  • Donald Allan, Max Palmer, and Robert Page graduated in 1923.
Chapter II: The Depression and World War II
(1929–1945)


Francis Winspear
  • Francis Winspear was appointed the first Director of the School of Commerce in 1954.
  • He received the School’s first Canadian Business Leader Award in 1982.
  • The Winspear Business Reference Library opened in 1984.
  • The Francis and Harriet Winspear Business Students’ Centre opened in September 1998.
Adding Up
  • The first external Advisory Committee was established in 1932.
  • Links with the Institute of Chartered Accountants formed in 1935.
  • Student fees increased by $10 to $145 with the beginning of WWII in 1939.
Chapter III: New Directions
(1945–1960)


Weathering the Storm
  • Registration - 1945: 36 civilians and 64 veterans; 1947: 54 civilians and 232 veterans.
  • In 1957, disputes over programming changes led to the resignation of Director Ben Lindberg and other staff members.
  • In 1959, a proposal was prepared to move the School of Commerce to Calgary.
Branching Out
  • The Banff School of Advanced Management was established in 1952.
  • Extensive study of other schools led to broadening of the Accounting focus.
  • Hu Harries was appointed as Director of the School of Commerce in 1959.
Chapter IV: The Turning Point
(1960–1975)


Hu Harries
  • Faculty status was granted in 1960.
  • The MBA program began in 1964.
  • AACSB accreditation was first achieved in 1968.
New Heights
  • Faculty of Commerce was renamed to Faculty of Business Administration and Commerce in 1965.
  • International development assistance began with University of Nairobi in Kenya in 1971.
  • Registration - 1960: 32 males and 2 females; 1975: 284 males and 34 females.
Chapter V: Growth and Change
(1975–1990)


A Solid Foundation
  • Faculty of Business Administration and Commerce was renamed Faculty of Business in 1982.
  • The PhD program was established in 1983.
  • The Faculty of Business Building opened on November 26, 1984.
Community Connections
  • Inaugural Canadian Business Leader Award presented in 1982.
  • Business Alumni Association was formed in 1988.
  • Business Co-operative Education program started in 1992.
  • Executive Education program established in 1998.

Chapter VI: Expanding Horizons
(1990–2008)


Innovative Thinking
  • National leader in technology assisted teaching, research, and learning.
  • More 3M teaching awards than any business school in Canada.
  • Thirteen Centres of applied Business research.
Global Impact
  • International specializations, study tours, and exchange opportunities for students.
  • Financial Times of London 2006 research ranking: top 25 globally under Dean Mike Percy.
  • Longest continually accredited Business school in Canada.


<< Prev  |  Page 2 of 2

“A University should be the most practical of all institutions. It should strive to find the answers to the economic and social problems of common everyday people and then share its knowledge with them.”

- Dr. Henry Marshall Tory
June 1908